Core courses are taught by MATX core faculty. Faculty in participating units offer MATX seminars on topics that relate to their own areas of research and expertise.
- MATX 601 Texts and Textuality
- Semester course; three lecture hours. Three credits. Explores theories of texts and textuality as they relate to the study of media, the arts and discourse of any kind.
- Fall 2012: Marcel Cornis-Pope, Noreen Barnes, Will Sims
Fall 2011: Marcel Cornis-Pope, Noreen Barnes, Will Sims
- Fall 2010: Marcel Cornis-Pope, Noreen Barnes
- MATX 602 History of Media Art & Text
- Semester course; three lecture hours. Three credits. Examines the history of communication technologies in their social and cultural contexts. Students will explore how the interactions between communication practices and technologies are related to institutions, identity formation, cultural values, social practices and economic conditions.
- Fall 2012: Gretchen Soderlund
Fall 2011: David Golumbia
- Fall 2010: Richard Fine
- MATX 603 History of Multimedia and Interdisciplinarity
- Semester course; three lecture hours. Three credits. Explores the history and the theoretical implications of disciplinary structures as well as interdisciplinarity and history of various media.
- Spring 2013: Eric Garberson
Spring 2012: Eric Garberson
- Spring 2011: Joshua Eckhardt
- MATX 604 Production Workshop
- Semester course; 3 lecture hours. 3 credits. Enrollment is limited to first-year MATX students. Provides the opportunity to develop and expand knowledge of specific production technologies needed for e-portfolio website and to study and practice professional and/or creative skills that students are contemplating using in their doctoral work. Graded as pass/fail.
- Spring 2013: David Golumbia
Spring 2012: David Golumbia
- Spring 2011: David Golumbia